Self-appraisal encourages employees to play an active role in the appraisal process. It also provides the manager with another perspective on the employee’s work over the past year. The self-appraisal should include questions that will help your direct report analyse their performance effectively.
Here are the 8 questions that needs to be addressed for effective self-appraisal:
- Have you achieved the goals set during the past performance review?
- Have you surpassed your goals? Which goals? What helped you meet or exceed your goals?
- Are you struggling with any of your goals? Which ones? What has hindered you from achieving them?
- What are your most important accomplishments for the past year?
- What do you like most about your job?
- What do you like least about your job?
- What do you hope to achieve for the coming year?
- How can the manager or company help you do better at your job?